I. Dean Elkins
Henderson, KY

QCWA # 7666
K4ADJ - I Dean Elkins

14 January, 2001

I was originally licensed in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1945. This was an "LSPH" operator only ticket since the war was just winding down. For newcomers, LSPH meant Licensed Since Pearl Harbor. I received my station license in April,1946 and was quite active on 28 MHz phone. I graduated from the University of Tulsa in May, 1946 and for two years was employed, as a chemist, by Mid-Continent Petroleum Co. After two years there, in 1948, I enrolled at the University of Oklahoma and received the degree of Master of Science in August, 1950 just in time to be drafted into the Korean war. I got to make use of ham radio during that time as an instructor in radio maintenance and repair at The Artillery School, Ft. Sill, OK. In 1953, after my release from the army, I joined Kerr-McGee and was with them for about 10 years; first in research, then as refinery Chief Chemist. Ellen and I were married in 1955 and our daughter, Jessica, was born in 1959. Our granddaughter, Sarah, was born to Jessica and Ray Schaaf in 1996. In 1963, I joined the University of Kentucky/Henderson Community College faculty where I stayed until my retirement, in 1987, as Associate Prof. of Chemistry. Ellen and I traveled extensively over the U.S. Our travels included, in 1986, a visit to ARRL HQ. During these years I was active on the air but spent much of my time as an experimenter. In Kentucky I held WA4RHR for five years and K4ADJ to the present. I now operate all bands from 160 - 2 meters but mostly DX on 20. My station has always featured homebrew equipment, first of necessity and now of choice. I hold WAS #3819, Bicentennial WAS, WAC, DXCC #23,515, 10-X #2871, QCWA #7666, QCWA 50 years continuously licensed #1608 and a number of special events station awards including WW2END. I have been a member of ARRL for sixty years.

Epilogue: In early 2004, Ellen's health began to fail. I was able to care for her at home but inevitably her condition worsened and she died on the morning of 26 September, 2004. Our daughter, granddaughter, and son-in-law were here at the time.

After Ellen's funeral, I was busy for several weeks tying up loose ends. In October, I accepted an invitation from the daughter of a long time friend, Professor Whitney, and spent a few days visitiing with Nathalie in Minneapolis.

In May, 2005, Jessica, her family, and I spent two weeks in England, Belgium, Germany, and France. There were several high points to the trip but one, for me, was a visit, in Bonn Germany, to the birthplace of Ludwig van Beethoven. I have played a good bit of his music and wished I could have played his piano. (Fat chance; one is admonished not to touch it!) I bought a cd of some of his music played on that piano.

I am now pretty well settled in a new life by myself. I continue to be active on the air and I have undertaken a few projects. My station is unchanged except for antennas, all of which, except for a 2M ground plane, were destroyed by a windstorm in July, 2006. At 81, I am getting too old to put up tall masts and string wire so I, for the first time, am using a commercially made antenna. My GAP Titan vertical has been in service for about five months and has greatly exceeded my expectations. In March, 2010, I acquired a new Kenwood TS-2000 transceiver which has performed flawlessly and I am very pleased with its capabilities. I, particularly, like the IF DSP selectivity feature and the inclusion of the 144 and 440 MHz bands. This transceiver now occupies the space occupied by the TS-830S in the picture. The TS-830S is now on the next platform to the right and is available as a standby. Also new is an MFJ noise canceler which fits on top of the TS-2000. On 3 March, 2012, the four 811A tubes in one amplifier were replaced by four 572B tubes. Full power is now available. Earlier the two 811As in a smaller amplifier were replaced, also with 572Bs.

Note: In the picture, the images on the computer screen are of Ellen and me taken in 1955 immediately after our wedding.

March 8, 2013